Dillian Whyte is set to take on Alexander Povetkin in May at “Whyte vs Povetkin” in what could be the first major bout held amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Britain’s ‘Body Snatcher’ is set to take on the tough Russian in Manchester but the exciting fight is in serious doubt due to the virus.
The pandemic has seen the vast majority of sporting events put on hold and the British Boxing Board has suspended all UK bouts until the end of April.
Whyte vs Povetkin could usher in the return of elite sport but the situation is being monitored day-by-day and their clash is far from certain.
Here’s what we know about the heavyweight showdown so far.
Whyte vs Povetkin: Date and time
Dillian Whyte beat Mariusz Wach in Saudi Arabia last December on the undercard for Anthony Joshua’s rematch win over Andy Ruiz Jr.
Povetkin was also on that card and fought out an exciting draw with American Michael Hunter.
The two heavyweights, who have both lost to Joshua, are now set to meet at the Manchester Arena on Saturday, May 2.
The fight is slated to get underway at around 10pm but this will depend on the undercard.
Katie Taylor will face Amanda Serrano while Callum Johnson will take on Igor Mikhalkin in Manchester.
Whyte vs Povetkin: What has been said?
Dillian Whyte has told talkSPORT he is still training for the fight despite the coronavirus pandemic putting the UK – and the rest of the world – on hold.
He told Fight Night recently: “The preparation is just to continue as a pro, you’ve just gotta be professional to the best of your ability.
“Obviously there’s a lot going on in the world at the minute, at lot more important things than boxing. I’m just trying to stay focussed, just trying to prepare.
“I’ve got a job to do and obviously just be professional about it, keep training like the fight is still happening.
“I’m just training for May 2 really. I’ve just been getting on with it.”
Whyte continued: “Nobody knows how bad it is, how worse it’s gonna get, so I just try and crack on.
“We can do one of two things – live our life in fear and isolation, panic and go crazy, or we can just try and be careful and sensible and try and get on with life.
“I just try and get on with my life because the world has seen worse crises than this before.
“I’m not an expert, but us people, humans, have been through worse things than this before and we got on with it, we got through it.
“So people need to be a bit more positive, a bit more upbeat, and just get on with life.”
Whyte vs Povetkin: How will coronavirus impact it?
The British Boxing Board of Control have cancelled all public boxing shows until the end of April due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Following guidance from UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson, the sporting body were left with little choice other than to put mass events on hold.
The BBBofC’s press release did offer some hope though, with the option of fights behind closed doors up for consideration.
It read: “With regard to the statement made by the Prime Minister Boris Johnson, all public tournaments [shows] under the jurisdiction of the British Boxing Board of Control are unfortunately cancelled.
“Further consideration of the matter will take place at the beginning of April.
“We have a number of requests for tournaments to be held behind closed doors however, the practicality and logistics will be considered fully following advice from Board Medical Officers.”
It remains to be seen if Whyte vs Povetkin will be able to go ahead on May 2 and whether it could be held without fans in attendance.
Whyte’s promoter Eddie Hearn has said a decision on the bout will be made this week.